You will feel like a genius when your garbage disposal is making a humming sound, and you fix it yourself by following Tampa Bay Plumbers’ eight simple steps! Garbage disposals are one of the most convenient appliances in your kitchen. However, if your garbage disposal stops working, it can cause serious problems. The steps below will help you get it up and running again in no time.
Garbage Disposal Making a Humming Sound? Try this!
You can repair your garbage disposal yourself to restore its full functionality. If your garbage disposal makes a humming sound when you turn it on, it’s most likely because a piece of food or other foreign object lodged into the appliance. Take the following steps to fix it:
- Unplug the unit to turn off the electricity to the garbage disposal. You don’t want to get electrocuted or have your garbage disposal turn on while your hands are inside.
- Have a set of Allen wrenches handy. Access the area below your sink to locate the hex socket centered underneath your garbage disposal. If your garbage disposal doesn’t have a hex socket, skip to Step #5.
- Once you’ve identified the hex socket, find the Allen wrench that best fits it and insert it into the socket.
- Rotate your Allen wrench back and forth to dislodge whatever is obstructing the free movement of your garbage disposal’s flywheel.
- If that doesn’t work, you don’t have an Allen wrench, or your garbage disposal lacks a hex socket, try to find a long makeshift tool. For example, a short broom handle, long wooden spoon, or long piece of dowel will do the trick.
- Once you’ve found a makeshift tool, stick it down into the garbage disposal to rotate the blades back and forth. Call a plumber if the blades do not budge. If they move freely, continue to Step #7.
- Reconnect the garbage disposal to the electrical socket to restore power to the unit. Turn the switch on to see if it works. If it does, listen for any humming noises. This sound could indicate a minor obstruction that will cause your disposal to burn out eventually.
- If none of the above steps resolves the problem with your garbage disposal, you should contact a plumber for further assistance.
Other Types of Garbage Disposal Malfunctions
You can diagnose your garbage disposal issues like a pro with Tampa Bay Plumbers’ helpful tips! While the most common cause of garbage disposal issues is still a lodged particle, there are a few other problems that may frequently arise, as well. Discover more about this below.
If your garbage disposal doesn’t work at all, check the outlet to which it connects. Remove the plug and reconnect with a different electrical appliance to test the outlet’s functionality.
Garbage Disposal Circuit Breaker
Your garbage disposal may need a hard reset. Unplug it, find the red reset button underneath the unit, and press it. Then, plug it back in, run the cold water for a moment, and turn on your garbage disposal.
Main Circuit Breaker
Sometimes, a garbage disposal can trip your home’s main circuit breaker. Make sure you check the breaker before calling Tampa Bay Plumbers.
Tampa Bay Plumbers Are Here for You
After you try all of the above tips and tricks, call in the experts at Tampa Bay Plumbers. If your garbage disposal is making a humming sound and you need a Tampa garbage disposal repair, call (813) 758-6237 to schedule an appointment.